Meatloaf is the quintessential American meal. It’s nostalgic, hearty and just plain delicious. Most families have their special way to prepare it. Here at Skinny Kitchen we have a few flavorful and healthy twists. The first is to use barbecue sauce instead of the usual ketchup. It’s such a small change but adding the barbecue sauce makes it taste extraordinary. Next, you will save a tremendous amount of calories and fat just by free forming the meatloaf. If you prepare it the way your Grandma did in a loaf pan, the fat soaks into the loaf. With this new way, all the excess fat is left on the pan not in the loaf and then in your stomach. We also substitute lean ground turkey for ground beef. Finally, we recommend that you line the pan with foil so clean up is a breeze. Just by making meatloaf the Skinny Kitchen way you will save over 250 calories and more astounding 38 grams of fat per serving!
- 1 package ground turkey (1-1 Â¼ pounds)
- Â½ cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Â½ cup + Â½ cup barbecue sauce (we like Sweet Baby Rays or use your favorite)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 egg whites
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking pan or cookie sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, bread crumbs, onions, Â½ cup barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, egg whites, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place meatloaf mixture in the center of the baking pan and shape into a 12 x 4 inch loaf by hand.
- Spread the remaining Â½ cup barbecue sauce evenly over the top of the loaf. Add more, if desired.
- Bake 1 hour and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serves 4
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 181g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 30||12%|
|Total Fat 3.38g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.82g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.08g|
|Total Carbs 48.72g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6%|