This is the recipe for the Brazilian Empadao, which is basically a Chicken Pie.
You can serve this as a side dish, a main dish or a snack, you can actually make it smaller on a muffin baking sheet to serve it as a snack.
You can use any filling you prefer, ground beef, turkey, veggies, use your imagination.
For Pictures of how to make this recipe go to:
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH:
- 3 cups of flour
- 14 tablespoons of cold butter (1 stick + 6 tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk (mixed)
- 6 tablespoons of milk
- 1 egg wash to brush over the pie ( 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of water )
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHICKEN FILLING:
- Around 3 medium size chicken breasts boiled in water and shredded
- 1 roma tomate (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of green olives (chopped)
- 1 hand full of Cilantro (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of hearts of palm (chopped) * this is optional, if you canât find it you donât need to use it.
- 1 small can of tomato sauce (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt and pepper to your taste
- HOW TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
- On your KitchenAid Bowl Mixer add flour and salt and whisk it, then add the cold butter and with the hook attachment on your Mixer start on speed 1 for 2 minutes then turn up to speed 2 until it looks like the butter incorporated into the flour and it became crumbs.
- Turn the Mixer off and add egg mixture and milk and start your Mixer into speed 1 for 2 minutes then speed 2 for 1 minute then turn up to speed 4 until all combined and the dough looking smooth. During this process sometimes you need to turn off the mixer, lift the hook and drop it right in the middle of the dough because the hook needs to work the dough in the middle.
- Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- HOW TO MAKE THE CHICKEN FILLING:
- Add butter and olive oil to a pan on medium high heat on your stove and add onions. When onions are golden brown, turn off heat and add shredded chicken, olives, tomato, hearts of palm, cilantro salt and pepper and tomato sauce and reserve ( filling has to be cold when you add to the pie).
- HOW TO MAKE THE PIE:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Flour surface and cut the dough in half. Take 1 half and flour surface again and flour around dough, with the help of rolling pin roll the dough on the shape of the baking sheet you will use (round pie or small square) until thin, roll it around the pin (to help transfering the dough) and drop it over the baking sheet, with your fingers you need to help this to stick to sides and bottom of the baking sheet so it wont make bubbles when baking it, with a fork make little holes on the bottom.
- Add the chicken Mixture and spread it out. Roll the other half the same way you rolled the bottom and with the help of rolling pin drop it over the top. Cut the extra dough hanging on the sides and roll the border around the pie.
- You can use the dough left over to make whatever you want to decorate the pie, I made little hearts.
- Brush the pie with the egg wash and to the oven it goes for about 40-45 minutes, until Golden Brown.
- Your pie is ready!
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1406g|
|Calories from Fat 1797||52%|
|Total Fat 204.27g||255%|
|Saturated Fat 115.15g||461%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 353.29g||94%|
|Dietary Fiber 22.1g||74%|