Cost per serving $0.96 view details
- 2 lb butternut squash
- 2 Tbs olive oil plus more for roasting the squash
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 med onion diced
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp plain yogurt or sour cream for garnish
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 400F and line baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and strings. Rub the surface with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast on the baking sheet open sides up, until browned and tender -- 80-90 minutes. Let cool.
- Heat the 2 Tbsp olive oil and butter in a heavy soup pot on medium. Add the onion and 1/2 tsp salt. Saute for 5-6 minutes until the onions begin to brown. Add the cumin and coriander, stir for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes and juices. Season with a few grinds of pepper, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Peel the roasted squash, or scoop out the flesh, and add it to the pot, breaking it up with a wooden or plastic spoon. Add the chicken broth, cover, and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and slightly puree in batches in a blender or food processor. Taste and add more salt or pepper as needed. Return the soup to the pot and stir over med-low heat until hot.
- Pour in to bowls and garnish with a spoonful of yogurt or sour cream and a sprinkling of the minced parsley.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 299g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 21||21%|
|Total Fat 2.4g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1.35g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 18.49g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g||12%|