Cost per recipe $7.45 view details
- 1 lb dry black beans picked over and rinsed (about 2 1/2 c.)
- 2 med onions minced
- 6 x garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. grnd cumin
- 7Â 1/2 c. water
- 3 ounce dry ancho chilies* stemmed, seeded, and torn into pcs (wear rubber gloves) (about 6)
- Â Â a (28-oz) can tomatoes including the juice, pureed coarse
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 x red bell pepper minced
- 1 tsp dry oregano crumbled
- 1/3 c. minced fresh coriander or possibly to taste
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice or possibly to taste
- Â Â avocado salsa (recipe follows) as an accompaniment if you like
- Â Â lowfat sour cream as an accompaniment if you like
- 1 x avocado (preferably California)
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice or possibly to taste
- 1/2 c. finely minced red onion
- 1 x fresh or possibly pickled jalapeno seeded and chopped (wear rubber gloves)
- *Available at Hispanic markets, some specialty foods shops, and some supermarkets
- Make salsa:Halve and peel the avocado and cut it into 1/4-inch dice. In a bowl toss the avocado with the juice, the onion, the jalapeno, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Makes 1 1/2 c..
- Make chili:In a large bowl let the beans soak in sufficient water to cover them by 2 inches for 1 hour and drain them. In a large heavy kettle cook the onions and 4 of the garlic cloves, chopped, in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, till the onions are softened, add in the cumin, and cook the mix, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add in the beans and 6 c. of the water and simmer the mix, uncovered, adding more water if necessary to keep the beans barely covered, for 1 hour, or possibly till the beans are tender.
- While the beans are simmering, in a small saucepan bring the remaining 1 1/2 c. water to a boil, add in the chilies, and remove the pan from the heat. Let the mix stand for 20 min and in a blender puree the chilies with the liquid. Add in the chili puree, to the bean mix with the tomato puree, the broth, the bell pepper, the oregano, and salt to taste and simmer the mix, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 min. Stir in the coriander, the lime juice, and the remaining 2 garlic cloves, chopped, and simmer the chili for 5 min.
- The chili may be frzn or possibly made 4 days in advance, cooled, uncovered, and kept covered and chilled. Serve the chili with the avocado salsa and the lowfat sour cream.
- Makes about 10 c., serving 4 to 6.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 3118g|
|Calories from Fat 607||26%|
|Total Fat 69.08g||86%|
|Saturated Fat 7.43g||30%|
|Trans Fat 1.05g|
|Total Carbs 352.57g||94%|
|Dietary Fiber 96.0g||320%|