Fish tacos are one of my favorite dishes. When I had the opportunity to fry up some fresh fish, I worked on a recipe that would taste just like my favorite restaurant. Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup beer (dark Mexican beer)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon minced capers (optional)
- oil for frying
- 1 pound cod fillets (or other fish), cut into 2 to 3 ounce portions
- 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas (warmed)
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- Beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture.
- White sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with cayenne, cumin, oregano and dill (optional: minced jalapeno and capers).
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Dust fish pieces lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Warm tortillas and place fried fish in a tortilla, top with white sauce and shredded cabbage. Serve with a wedge of lime.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 200g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 128||37%|
|Total Fat 14.53g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 2.41g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 36.49g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g||12%|