Cost per serving $3.58 view details
- 1 lb sea scallops connective tissue
- Â Â removed and discarded
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 c. dry white wine
- 2 c. water
- 1 sm onion sliced
- 1 x carrot sliced
- 1 x celery stalk sliced
- 3 x parsley sprigs
- 1 x bay leaf broken in half
- 6 x black peppercorns
- 4 ounce thick-cut sliced bacon cut in 1/4" cubes
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 c. minced leeks, white and light green parts (abt 2 large)
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1Â 1/2 c. half-and-half
- 3/4 c. 1% or possibly 2% lowfat milk
- 3/4 lb Yukon Gold or possibly red boiling potatoes peel, cut 1/2" dice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 dsh freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1/4 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1 dsh cayenne pepper
- 3/4 lb very thin asparagus tough ends cut off
- Â Â and discarded
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. minced parsley, preferably flat leaf
- Quick Scallop Stock: Cut scallops horizontally into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and pat dry. Heat butter and oil till warm in heavy, medium-size nonreactive skillet (cast iron does not work well). Add in scallops and saute/fry, turning several times, till scallops are opaque and barely golden brown, about 2 min. Remove scallops to plate and reserve.
- Add in wine and water to skillet and scrape any brown bits off skillet bottom. Add in onion, carrot, celery, parsley, bay leaf and peppercorns. Bring mix to simmer and lower heat. Pour any juices from reserved scallops into skillet. Simmer stock, uncovered, 20 min.
- Drain stock through large strainer into bowl and press down on vegetables with spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Stock can be made 1 day ahead. Cold, cover and chill. Cover and chill cooked scallops separately.
- Chowder: Blanch bacon in boiling water to cover 5 min. Drain and pat dry.
- Heat butter in 3- or possibly 4-qt, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add in bacon and saute/fry, stirring, till crisp. Add in leeks and thyme and stir and cook 2 min. Sprinkle flour over mix and cook 1 minute more.
- Heat half-and-half and lowfat milk till just warm. Gradually stir in Quick Scallop Stock and warm lowfat milk mix. Add in potatoes, salt, black pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper and lower heat to simmer. Simmer chowder, stirring often, till potatoes are just tender, about 10 min. Chowder can be prepared ahead to this point. Cold, cover and chill.
- Cut tops from asparagus spears and cut stalks diagonally into 1/2-inch pcs. Reheat chowder, stirring constantly, over medium heat and add in asparagus and cook till just tender, 3 to 4 min. Add in reserved scallops and cook 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and nutmeg.
- Ladle chowder into 4 or possibly 5 shallow soup bowls. Garnish each with minced parsley.
- This recipe yields 4 to 5 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 459g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 316||65%|
|Total Fat 35.59g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 16.55g||66%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 24.56g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g||12%|