United States Chef
Linda Skelcy Profile
I am a cook. At the very core of my being that is what I am. Yes, I'm a mother and daughter, wife, sister, and friend but if you ask me what I AM - I will tell you that I am a lover of food and a cook.
My grandfather owned a bar and restaurant and I spent many a happy Sunday in the kitchen,watching my grandmother cook or behind the bar watching my grandfather mix a drink. Sometimes my grand would let me slide the chicken into the fryer or bread something... that was the beginning. In later years I bartended occasionally.At the age of eight I made my first omelet and I haven't looked back.
I used to make my parents breakfast in bed. I would rise early and make pancakes or french toast or eggs and coffee and juice. I would enslave my siblings, both older and younger to help. We would load up a tray and "surprise" them.
On Saturdays I would make my brothers elaborate meals with a cake for dessert. My brothers were wrestlers and had to watch their weight all week but Saturdays after their meets, they would eat. And boy could they EAT!
After more than 40 years, several culinary schools, restaurant jobs and years of cooking, I'm still at it. Everyday. I am an up to the elbows in pots, pans, recipes and food kind of cook. And I love it.
Organic, Free Range, Local and Seasonal
- Cook with Jamie (Jamie Oliver)
- Beautiful recipes, simple food
- Food Lover's Companion (Barron's)
- The quintessential kitchen dictionary
Chefs I recommend
- Andrea Carbine (Cranford, NJ)
- French American Bistro Food, Local, Seasonal, Organic
Restaurants I Recommend
- Cafe Tu-Tu Tango (Orlando, FL)
- Try the warm duck salad - a fun artist's tapas bar
- Cosmo's (San Francisco, CA)
- The day boat scallops and artisan cheese board are memorable