Chetana Suvarna Ganatra Chef Profile
Catering with a personal touch.
Food is all that i know....I eat, sleep and sumtimes even dream about food. I have a knack of doing everything from scratch...which is most of the time misunderstood to be a show-off. I am also the grandma kinds and beleive in making my own spice mix, chutneys, relishes,dips,flavored oils, preserves, jams and all. My limitations of eating meat leaves me helpless whilst experimenting new recipes and cuisines. Neverthless, I never leave any oppurtunity to learn and understand it fully.
Pre-historic cooking and the evolution or rather journey of food to today's fastfood world amazes me a lot. The thought that even though we all eat the same food with different names, the word 'authentic' draws boundaries around and separates us all, only leaving me sad and furious.
My life is complete with a teen and a superb friend who also happens to be my spouse and companion....life seems useless without him.
Few years back I juggled being a supermum and a super home-maker but was suddenly left alone with loads of time and nothing new to do. Thats when hubby dear threw an idea of being self employed, but nuthing did I know.
After all those ramblings and deep thoughts...'Food'.. what else I told myself. Went back to school, got my certificates in Commercial cooking and Patisserie and to my surprise was even awarded with a Student Excellence award for the year in Patisserie....this helped in regaining all the lost self-confidence.
Now my passion has turned into a full-time job and i call it 'Indulgence'- Catering with a personal touch. My days are getting busier but am not complaining, however I am enjoying every big small moment.
Besides food, I enjoy travelling, gardening, reading about astronomy and history, listening to Indian classical and romantic music, swaying to ABBA, Sting, Bryan Adams, Savage Garden n more, playing with colors and a bit of ceramics...or simply love to quietly sit in my couch with a cup of infused tea, relaxing my hyper brain...you won't even know I am in the room.
I live in the peaceful southeast suburb of Melbourne and love to share what I learnt thru blogging and by writing an editorial column in a local newspaper.
Awards, Honors and Societies
Student Excellence Award from Holmesglen, Australia.
- The Complete Asian Cookbook (Charmaine Soloman)
- The best all in one Asian cookbook.
- Royal Hyderabadi Cooking (Sanjeev Kapoor)
Restaurants I Recommend
- Mahesh Lunch Home (Fountain, Mumbai)
- Peshawari-ITC Grand Maratha Sheraton (Sahar, Mumbai)
- Vista -Taj Lands End (Bandstand, Mumbai)
- Gold Leaf Chinese Restaurant (Burwood, Melbourne)
- Jamavar-The Leela Kempinski (Mumbai)
- Delhi Darbaar (Colaba, Mumbai)
- Viva Paschim (Worli, Mumbai)
- Khyber (Kalaghoda, Mumbai)
- Panchvati Gaurav (Bombay Hospital, Mumbai)
- Fisherman's warf (Lakes Entrance, Victoria)
- Bombay by nite (Caulfield, Melbourne)
- Yamagata Teppanyaki (Doncaster, Melbourne)
- Merwans Patisserie (Andheri, Mumbai)
- Basque Tapas & Wine (Prahran, Melbourne, Australia)
- The Dhaba (Flinders Street, Melbourne, Australia)
- Cupcake Central (Hawthorn, Melbourne, Australia)
- Paradai Thai Restaurant (Carnegie, Melbourne, Australia)
- Dunyazad (Balwyn North, Melbourne, Australia)
- Emporio Della Pasta (Crown Casino, Melbourne, Australia)
- Cochin Durbar (Richmond, Melbourne, Australia)
- Basque tapas & wine (Prahran, Australia)