There are many zucchini recipes, but this is one that I kinda made up. It is nourishing, a good Lenten dish and quick and easy to make. Prepare items a head of time. I know your family will like this dish.
- 6 cups zucchini, diagonally cut in 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 T. oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 5-6 tomatoes, blanched, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 T. sugar
- Dash of black pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1. Boil zucchini in salted water until somewhat soft. Drain, cool, slice. Set aside.
- 2 . In frying pan, heat oil, add onions, garlic, green pepper, celery. Cook until onions are translucent.
- 3. Greased a large baking dish. Layer in tomatoes, then zucchini and cooked vegetables.
- 4. Top with bread crumbs and cheddar cheese.
- 5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes, allowing all items to cook.
- 6. Remove from oven; prod to loosen, add mozzarella cheese and bake for about 15 more minutes to allow cheese to blend and get somewhat brown.
- 7. Serve hot. Serves 8
- Variation: add i can mushroom soup; or 1 pound cooked ground beef. Ideal for side dish also.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 194g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 47||38%|
|Total Fat 5.37g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 2.7g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 13.46g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|