To get over a rainy weekend I thought of making this lemon cake with some juicy Italian lemons a friend of mine brought me recently. I have added a small pot of yogurt for extra flavour and there you go, you can soon forget about the weather outside, enjoy this very lemony cake and think about the sunny place where they come from.
- 300 g self raising flour
- 250 g sugar
- 150 g butter
- 4 eggs
- the zest and juice of two organic lemons
- a small pot of natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- a pinch of salt
- Beat the yolks with 200 g of sugar to a creamy consistency. Add the melted butter (cold), flour, vanilla, lemons and yogurt. Stir well in.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt and the remaining sugar until they are very firm and gently add them to the mixture stirring it all in.
- Pour the mixture into a round baking tray and cook at 180C for 40 minutes.
- You can decorate according to your preferences.
- I have dusted the cake with icing sugar then sliced a lemon and cooked it for 7 minutes into sugar and water then sprinkled with sugar again and put it on the cake.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 111g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 156||37%|
|Total Fat 17.76g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 10.37g||41%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 59.49g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|