I adapted these mushrooms from a bon appetit recipe. They are delicious and always a crowd pleaser. They have a little zing from the crushed red pepper flakes. Great served as a passed hors d'oeuvre. We've taken these to other people's houses as an appetizer (just baking the last 10 minutes there) and they always get rave reviews.
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 10-oz pkg chopped frozen spinach, thawed & squeezed
- 8 oz bacon slices
- 4 oz crumbled Feta cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 3/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 lbs button mushrooms (about 72), stemmed
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook bacon in skillet on medium high until crisp, about 8 min. Transfer to paper towels, pat dry and crumble. Discard all but 1/4 cup bacon fat.
- Heat 2 tsps reserved bacon fat in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute until tender, about 4 min. Transfer to medium bowl. Add bacon, spinach, feta, cream cheese, and crushed red pepper to the bowl. Mix to ensure that red pepper is evenly distributed, adding salt and black pepper to taste.
- Take two large, rimmed baking sheets and line with foil. Toss mushrooms and rest of bacon fat (substitute extra virgin olive oil for healthier mushrooms) in large bowl to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place mushrooms, rounded side down, with small space between each. Bake mushrooms about 25 minutes. Turn mushrooms over and bake until brown and liquid is evaporated, about 20 minutes longer. Turn mushrooms over again and spoon 1 heaping tsp of filling into each mushroom cavity. (Everything up to this point can be prepared up to 1 day ahead of time, and mushrooms can be covered and refrigerated).
- Bake mushrooms an additional 10 minutes with stuffing...until heated through. Transfer to a platter and serve warm.
- Makes about 72 mushrooms...enough as Hors d'oeuvre for about 12-16.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 73g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 124||79%|
|Total Fat 13.91g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 6.08g||24%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 3.02g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|