Wings gone haywire!! Everyone needs a good and spicy hot wing in their lives at some point!! Along with the heat however, you also want flavor to boot. Great with beer and friends and family, not necessarily in that order, wings are as American as apple pie. The longer you let them marinate, the racier they become. Take your wingz to from laid back 'rocking chair' to full throttle 'rock and roll' all in the same bag!! Test your bravery and bring plenty to drink, cuz this one can be a real screamer. The "thingz" in this recipe are the flat wing with the wing tip, because it's the most flavorful and my favorite part to nibble on!!
- 4 lbs. chicken wings, separated
- 1 c. sriracha , plus 2 cups water
- 1 c. sherry
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 2 chilies in adobo, chopped
- 2 crushed Thai chilies
- 2 tbsp. sambal oelek
- 1 c. rice flour
- 1/2 c. seasoned flour, plus 1 tbsp. chili powder and 1/4 tsp. ginger
- vegetable oil for frying
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- celery, blue cheese, honey and ranch for reprieve!
- Wash and rinse separated wings and let remain in colander to drain.
- With a fork or knife pierce wingz repeatedly to help with flavor infusion.
- In a gallon sized resealable plastic bag, combine sriracha mixed with water, sherry, vinegar and chilies and sambal oelek. Shake well until combined.
- Season to taste with kosher and pepper as desired.
- Add wings and toss to coat. Squeeze out excess air and seal.
- Refrigerate anywhere from 4 to 24 hours. Four hours is enough for a mild spicier hot or go for the 8 for a real zinger!! Anywhere after that, you're on your own!!
- When ready, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 375*F in 6 quart dutch oven.
- Mix flours and dry spices and shake well in large plastic vessel with lid ( I use an empty ice cream container) or resealable plastic bag.
- Pour chicken into colander and rinse off excess marinade. Obviously, some flecks of chili will remain and that's fine.
- Toss to coat in flour mixture and shake off excess. Fry in batches as not to crowd cooking area, until golden brown about 5-7 minutes each. Drain on paper towels. Serve with whatever puts out the flames!!!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 177g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 144||41%|
|Total Fat 15.98g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 4.47g||18%|
|Trans Fat 0.19g|
|Total Carbs 23.63g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|