This is a very tasty version of the great american classic. I made this recently and had a bowl with a piece of good Italian bread after a long day of work. it was a cool evening, and this meal was just perfect. More flavorful that you expect, but still reminds you of childhood days.
- 16 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces (I used leftover grilled chicken pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (I slice them thick to retain flavor).
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces Barilla Plus Rotini pasta (this pasts is healthy and tasty, but use egg noodles or other pasta if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Combine chicken broth and chicken in heavy large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover partially and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Using tongs, transfer chicken to large bowl. Cool chicken and broth slightly. Discard skin and bones from chicken. Cut chicken meat into bite-size pieces and reserve. Spoon fat off top of chicken broth. If using leftover chicken, just chop the chicken, set aside, and skip the rest of the above directions.
- Return broth to simmer. Add onion, carrots and celery. Simmer until vegetables soften, about 8 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover chicken meat and broth separately and refrigerate. Bring broth to boil before continuing.)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sautÃ© until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Add mushrooms to broth; stir in noodles, parsley and reserved chicken. Simmer until noodles are tender, about 5 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 506g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 160||47%|
|Total Fat 17.77g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 5.74g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 20.19g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|