Cost per serving $3.39 view details
- 5 x Black peppercorns
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 1 x Garlic clove, halved
- 4 x Chicken breasts
- 2 x Green onions
- 1 x Celery stalk
- 2 x Red apples
- 1/4 c. Toasted pecans, coarse chop
- 1/2 c. Plain yogurt
- 1/3 c. Light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1. In large shallow saucepan, pour in water to depth of 2 inches; add in peppercorns, bay leaf and garlic. Heat over medium heat till simmering
- (small bubbles form but don't break surface of water).
- 2. Add in chicken to pan in single layer, meaty side down; cook for 15-20 min or possibly till no longer pink inside. Using tongs, transfer chicken to plate; let cold in refrigerator for about 1 hour or possibly till chilled. [Chicken can be covered and stored for up to 4 hrs.]
- 3. Dressing: in small bowl, whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, parsley, lemon juice, mustard and pepper. (Dressing can be covered and refrigerated for up to 8 hrs.]
- 4. Meanwhile, thinly slice onions and celery. Pull off skin from chicken.
- Pressing small paring knife against bone, cut off each breast to remove in 1 piece. Cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wide strips; cut crosswise into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 5. One apple at a time, slice off 1 side close to core; repeat 3 more times. Layer each piece cut side down; cut in half horizontally. Holding layers together, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips; cut crosswise into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 6. In large bowl, combine chicken, green onions, celery, apples and pecans.
- Add in dressing and stir gently to coat well.
- Variations:New Classic Chicken Salad: Replace apples with 1 carrot and half a sweet red pepper, minced; omit pecans. Dressing: Replace parsley with 3 tb minced fresh basil; omit lemon juice.
- Curried Chicken Salad: Omit apples and pecans. Add in half a sweet red pepper, minced, and 1/4 c. currants; sprinkle salad with 1/4 c. toasted sliced almonds. Dressing: Omit parsley and mustard. Add in 3 tb minced fresh coriander, 3/4 ts curry pwdr, 1/4 ts each grnd cumin and ginger, and a healthy pinch of salt.
- Cooking Lesson recipe
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 299g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 287||61%|
|Total Fat 32.34g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 6.78g||27%|
|Trans Fat 0.17g|
|Total Carbs 15.61g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.1g||10%|