- 12 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 x onions peeled, diced
- 10 lrg fresh sage leaves minced (or possibly 2 tspns crushed dry sage)
- 6 c. chicken stock, homemade or possibly low-sodium canned
- 2 x loaves stale white bread (abt 36 slices)
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 3 c. minced flat-leaf parsley (about 2 bunches)
- 2 c. pecans - (optional) toasted, minced
- 2 c. dry cherries (optional)
- Have your bread cut into 1-inch cubes. Heat butter in a large skillet. Add in onions and celery (Note: there was no mention of celery in the original recipe - use your own judgement, I'd recommend 2 large stalks minced) and cook over medium heat till onions are translucent/soft, about 10 min. Add in sage, stir to combine, and cook 3 to 4 min. Add in 1/2 c. stock and stir well. Cook for about 5 min, till liquid has reduced by half.
- Transfer onion mix to a large mixing bowl. Add in all other ingredients, including the remaining stock; mix to combine.
- Makes 12 c..
- Yield: 12 c.