Use "pasteurized-in-the-shell" eggs in this recipe to avoid both baking the custard and possible salmonella.
Too early for real, fresh fruit pies here - but Spring brings Key Limes, and that means unbaked Key Lime Pie with a slightly sweetened sour cream topping.
I use pasteurized-in-the-shell eggs, so there is no issue with salmonella and I can move the pies from prep to cooler. Saves a load of time and makes a fabulous, flavorful, citrus-sweet & tangy dessert. Great with any seafood main dish.
Key limes are not the 'regular' large limes we find on the produce section. Those are great for countless dishes, from appetizers to desserts. Key limes are smaller, thinner skinned and more fragrant. They also produce less juice, so you need to have more of them.
- 14 -16 key limes, washed and cut in half, juiced to get 1/2 C
- 1 regular lime zested to get about 1 Tbs
- 4 pasteurized-in-the-shell egg yolks (only - save the while for other uses)) (you'll see a red 'P' on each shell. Its not uncommon to find them in stores. I don't recommend them for scrambled or any cooked eggs, but in this recipe, you don't bake the filling and you want to risk unpleasant episodes with your guests)
- 1 14oz can of sweetened, condensed milk
- 2 C graham cracker crumbs
- 1 C good sour cream
- 1 T confectioner's sugar
- Melt the butter gently
- combine the butter with the graham cracker crumbs and bake at 350^ for 15 minutes - allow to cool
- Cut & juice the limes to obtain 1/2 cup
- Zest the regular lime & divide the zest into two measures
- Incorporate the 4 egg yolks into the sweetened condensed milk
- Add one measure of the lime zest to the mixture
- Add 1/4 C of the lime juice to the mixture and whisk to combine, then add the remaining lime juice to the filling and whisk until it thickens
- Pour the filling into the cooled graham pie shell
- Combine the sour cream and confectioner's sugar well
- Top the filling with the sweetened sour cream and refrigerate until service
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 155g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 154||30%|
|Total Fat 17.4g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 7.9g||32%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 82.58g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.0g||7%|