Inspiration from the Abruzzi region of Italy whereby my Aunt shared her precious Italian Apple butter torte recipe. The McIntosh apples are lovingly embraced by the smooth tasting butter and a touch of lemon rind.
For a detailed post...refer here:
- .>(American / Metric measures)<
- . 3/4 cup (180g) unsalted butter, softened
- . 4 large eggs, separated (at room temp.)
- . 3/4 cup (165g) granulated sugar [plus 1 Tbsp.(15ml) for topping]
- . 1 medium lemon, finely zested
- . a generous squeeze of lemon juice
- .>Flour mix:
- . 1 cup (150g) A.P. flour
- . 1 tbsp. (15ml) baking powder
- . pinch of sea salt
- . 3 large Apples (preferred: McIntosh), thickly sliced
- . Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas4. Position rack in the center of the oven. Prepare a greased 10 x 2 inch (26 x 5cm) round and shallow 'corning ware' dish or similar cake pan.
- . In a medium-large bowl, on low speed, beat the butter to a cream before adding the sugar to a smooth blend. Also add the lemon zest.
- . Afterwards, beat the egg yolks one at the time on low-medium speed.
- . Add the flour mix gradually into the batter and keep beating on medium speed until all is combined.
- . In another medium bowl, with clean beaters, whisk the egg whites to a soft, holding peak.
- . With a large spatula, fold in the whipped egg whites until a somewhat smooth batter comes together. Then, pour and spread the batter into the cake dish. Set aside.
- . Peel, core and thickly slice the apples. Place them temporarily into a bowl with a generous squeeze of lemon. Mix and get ready to place them. Leave the remaining juice behind.
- . Decorate the surface of the cake in a circular pattern as soon as they are sliced. Lightly insert the sliced core side down. Basically, the crescents will remain very lightly inserted in the batter. Sprinkle the top with the additional granulated sugar.
- . Bake for no more than 40 minutes. Afterwards, remove the cake dish from the oven and place it on a metal rack to cool.
- . This cake can be served within an hour after being taken out of the oven. No need to refrigerate this cake if eaten within 3 days...if it lasts that long!
- . Happy Baking with Claudia's flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 0g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|