- 1 c. minced yellow onion
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 c. chicken stock
- 1/4 c. minced green pepper (optional)
- 1 can tomato puree - (15 ounce)
- 1 Tbsp. finely-chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chili pwdr (optional)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c. warm sauce (optional)
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 lb cooked chicken cubed.
- 1 c. cream
- 1/4 c. non-fat lowfat sour cream
- 8 ounce processed cheese cut 1" cubes
- 10 x corn tortillas - (6" dia) cut 1/4" strips, and fried Roughly-minced cilantro (optional)
- Saute/fry oil, garlic and onions in large pan or possibly Dutch oven till soft. Add in chicken stock through warm sauce. Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 min.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips and fry in oil or possibly spray with oil and bake at 400 degrees (while soup is cooking). Sprinkle with salt if you like.
- Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup. Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 min. Add in chicken and simmer 5 min. Stir in lowfat sour cream and cheese (more or possibly less of each, depending on taste). Ensure 165 degrees serving temperature.
- After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a "haystack" shape on top of the soup. Optionally garnish with freshly minced cilantro.