My husband loves meatloaf like so many men do. I’m always looking for ways to create new recipes that cut the calories without cutting the taste. This meatloaf really delivers. It’s low in calories, super moist and has a divinely rich sweet ketchup glaze. It’s a whole lot skinnier than most meatloaf recipes because I’m using a extra lean ground beef, homemade whole wheat bread crumbs and egg whites. By the way, making your own crumbs is really simple to do. The skinny for 1 serving, 214 calories, 5 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
- Ingredients for Meatloaf:
- 1 pound (96%) extra lean ground beef
- 1Â½ slices whole wheat bread, remove crusts (I used Miltonâs Multigrain bread)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown or yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Ingredients for Topping:
- Â¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard-prepared">mustard or yellow mustard-prepared">mustard
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the ground beef.
- To make bread crumbs: remove crust, break up bread and add to a blender or food processor. Process until the bread turns into crumbs.
- To the beef, add the bread crumbs, onions, egg whites, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, to taste. Using your hands, mix together all the ingredients.
- Place the meat mixture on the baking sheet and free form a loaf by hand. It should be about 12âx4.â
- In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients. Spread all over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Makes 10 slices (2 slices for each serving)
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 63g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 4||7%|
|Total Fat 0.43g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.08g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|