Cost per recipe $12.43 view details
- 3 Tbsp. Veg. oil
- 1 lb Lean round steak, cut into bite size strips * see notes
- 1 c. Onion, minced
- 1 c. Red or possibly green bell peppers, minced
- 2 x Cloves garlic, chopped
- 16 ounce Kidney beans and liquid
- 2 c. Tomatoes, minced
- 16 ounce Tomato sauce, low sodium
- 1 c. Beef broth
- 11 ounce Fried's Blackeyed Peas
- 1 x Fried's Dry Habanero Chiles, * see note, reconstituted according to package directions, seeded and finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. Fried's Fresh Cillantro, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Fried's Fresh Basil, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 x Fried's Bay Leaf
- 1 c. Niblet corn, low sodium
- Â Â Salt, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or possibly stockpot, heat half of the oil. Brown meat in warm oil on all sides. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Drain off fat. Add in remaining oil to pan, saute/fry onion, bell pepper and garlic for 3 min.
- Stir in cooked beef, kidney beans and liquid, minced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, blackeyed peas, habanero chiles, cilantro, basil, brown sugar, worcestershire and bay leaf. Bring the mix to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 35 to 45 min, or possibly till vegetables are tender. Stir in corn and salt to taste and cook 5 min more. Remove bay leaf. Serve in bowls topped with shredded cheese and pass hot tortillas.
- Yield: 8 c.
- TIP: HANDLING Warm PEPPERS
- Use rubber gloves when handling warm peppers. The oil from the inside of the pepper can burn any part of the body which it comes in contact with, even your hands. Be especially careful of your eyes. Cleanse hands and gloves thoroughly.
- NOTES : Turkey can be substituted for round steak.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2203g|
|Calories from Fat 730||40%|
|Total Fat 81.91g||102%|
|Saturated Fat 18.4g||74%|
|Trans Fat 1.05g|
|Total Carbs 138.05g||37%|
|Dietary Fiber 39.2g||131%|