This took much exhaustive research to find. My goal was to find the recipe for the Old Spaghetti Factory lasagna. This may or may not be the exact recipe, but it is very close. The Old Spaghetti Factory lasagna is the best lasagna I've personally ever tasted. It elicits an almost inaudible moan with every bite. This takes a 9x13 slightly deeper than a standard Pyrex. I purchased a deeper pan specifically for making this lasagna.
- 1 pound of sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans of tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans of tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup of Water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons fresh Basil leaves chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 32 ounces of ricotta cheese.
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown the ground beef, Italian sausage, onions and garlic in a pot.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water.
- Stir in white sugar, fennel seed, Basil, 2 tbsp Italian parsley, Italian Seasoning, salt and ground pepper
- Cover and let simmer on low for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix ricotta cheese, fresh grated nutmeg, egg, 2 tbsp italian parsley.
- Spread 2 Cups of meat sauce on bottom of 9Ã13 pan.
- Lay 8 noodles across the layer of sauce, overlapping as needed.
- Spread half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the layer of noodles.
- Set aside 1/2 cup mozzarella & 1/4 cup Parmesan to top lasagna.
- Spread half of remaining mozzarella over the ricotta layer.
- Sprinkle half of remaining Parmesan over the mozzarella layer
- Spread 2 cups of meat sauce over the cheese layer
- Lay down the next layer of 8 noodles
- Spread the remaining ricotta mixture over noodles
- Spread remaining mozzarella and Parmesan still saving what was set aside for the top.
- Put the last layer of meat sauce on the cheeses.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 25 minutes
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for approximately 15 minutes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 346g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 334||61%|
|Total Fat 37.18g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 17.76g||71%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 18.08g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|