Let's face it - there is NEVER enough stuffing! This method of preparation makes moist flavorful stuffing that is just as good as what comes out of the bird AND it saves precious oven space for all the other items that need cooking, baking or reheating on Thanksgiving Day.
- 1 stick salted butter (+ 1 tablespoon for greasing crockpot)
- 3 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1-1/2 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1/4 cup diced dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries, chopped
- 12 cups cubed quality bread (great about 1/3 whole wheat and the rest white)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- SautÃ© onions and celery in butter in saucepan about 10 minutes. Add apples and herbs. SautÃ© until apples just begin to soften, about 3 more minutes.
- Mix broth and dried fruit in microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Let rest for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally to help fruit rehydrate.
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F. Toast bread cubes on baking sheet until lightly crusty but not hard, about 10 to 12 minutes. In a large bowl combine all ingredients.
- Butter the sides of a large crock pot. Cook stuffing in crock on low heat for 2 hours, adding more broth if it begins to stick and burn.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 404g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 162||16%|
|Total Fat 18.21g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 8.33g||33%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 170.35g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.7g||29%|