This rich collection of greens, lentils, cumin and coriander makes a. hearty Fall or Winter soup with layers of flavor. Both French green lentils and more commonly available brown lentils are delicious in this soup. The French green lentils hold their shape better when cooked, while brown lentils may start to break down a bit. Feel free to substitute different greens to your own taste. This soup was as good if not better for two to three days after we first had it. We adapted this from a recipe in Eating Well magazine. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large yeliow onions, chopped
- 11/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup French green (Le Puy) or brown lentils
- 8 large green chard leaves
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, scrubbed (or other potato)
- 12 cups gently packed spinach (about 10 ounces)
- 4 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground (or 2 tsp ground cumin)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- Crumbled feta cheese for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add 2 tablespoons water and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are greatly reduced and have a deep caramel color, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse lentils and combine the lentils with the remaining 4 cups water in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Trim the white ribs out of the chard; chop the greens and slice the ribs (keep in separate piles). Cut potato into 1/2-inch cubes. Chop spinach and set aside.
- When the lentils have cooked for 20 minutes, stir in the chard ribs, potato, scallions, broth and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt; return to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chard leaves, broccoli, cumin and coriander. When the onions are caramelized, stir a little of the simmering liquid into them and add them to the soup.
- Return to a simmer, cover and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in the reserved spinach, cilantro, mint, jalapeno and pepper; return to a simmer, cover and cook until the spinach is tender but still bright green, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Taste and add more lemon juice and/or pepper, if desired. Garnish each bowl of soup with a drizzle of olive oil and crumbled feta cheese.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 289g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 40||60%|
|Total Fat 4.49g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1.04g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 5.84g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|