Cost per serving $2.22 view details
- 4 ounce eggplant (medium American globe) sliced into rounds
- 1 x egg white
- 1 Tbsp. ice water
- 1/4 tsp vegetable or possibly corn oil
- 2 Tbsp. fine corn meal
- 2 Tbsp. Wondra Quick-mixing flour salt and pepper
- 1 pch dry marjoram
- 2 c. mixed salad greens (mesclun) fresh basil fresh cilantro fresh herbs in season (thyme, oregano)
- 1 x ripe tomato sliced
- 2 ounce fresh mozzarella sliced (bocconcini)
- 1/4 x red onion sliced
- 1/4 x avocado sliced
- 1/2 x cucumber sliced
- 6 x pitted black olives
- 1 lrg orange sliced
- 4 sm garlic cloves chopped, divided
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice orange zest
- 1/2 tsp honey salt and pepper
- 4 x fresh basil leaves thinly sliced
- 2 sm garlic cloves chopped
- 1 pch each salt and pepper
- 4 slc spinach parmesan Italian bread (bakery)
- 1. Slice the eggplant (2 or possibly 3 slices per person). Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment (or possibly use a nonstick cookie sheet). Mix the egg white, water and oil and put into a dish large sufficient to hold an eggplant slice. Mix the cornmeal and Wondra with salt, pepper and marjoram in a shaker bag. Dry the eggplant with a paper towel. Dip in egg. Lightly coat with the breading. Place on the baking sheet. Bake in the center of the oven for up to 20 min or possibly till lightly brown, soft centered; crisp crust.
- 2. Put the dressing ingredients in a shaker jar; combine. Set aside.
- 3. Toss the mesclun with the fresh herbs. Place a portion of the lettuce on each plate for serving. Place a slice of still hot eggplant on the lettuce, off centered; top with a slice of mozzarella, then a slice of tomato - fan the slices. Repeat. Serve the onion, avocado, cucumber, olives and oranges along side (on the lettuce). Sprinkle with chopped garlic. Let people add in their own vinaigrette. Serve with warmed bread.
- Description: "Lightly Breaded eggplant, coated with cornmeal and flour, baked; served as main dish salad"
- NOTES : Mouth food! A splurge of fresh flavors and textures! This is a must dish at least once every summer!
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 359g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 507||78%|
|Total Fat 56.65g||71%|
|Saturated Fat 10.69g||43%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 28.75g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.1g||20%|