Cost per recipe $15.49 view details
- 10 sm Black dry mushrooms
- 1/2 lb Fresh Chinese egg noodles, (regular mein)
- Â Â Sesame oil
- 1/2 lb Sea scallops
- Â Â Cornstarch
- 1/2 lb Flank steak
- 2 tsp Dark soy sauce
- 1/2 c. Bamboo shoots, sliced
- 1 lb Bok choy, cut in 1 1/2-inch
- 2 x Large eggs
- 2Â 1/4 c. Fresh chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. Light soy sauce
- Â Â Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Â Â Peanut oil
- 1 Tbsp. Or possibly more dry sherry or possibly -- Shaoxing rice wine
- Here's a recipe for Chow Mein that is a pretty classic application using pan fried noodles.
- Put the mushrooms in a small bowl and pour boiling water over them.
- Let soak for 30 min.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a large quantity of boiling water for 3 1/2 to 5 min. Drain, rinse under cool water, drain again, toss with a little sesame oil and set aside.
- Cut The scallops in half, toss with a little sesame oil and 1 1/2 tsp. of cornstarch; chill. Cut the flank steak as thinly as possible across the grain. Toss with 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch, in a little sesame oil and the dark soy sauce; set aside. When the mushrooms have soaked, squeeze them out over the soaking liquid, and reserve 1/4 c. of the liquid. Cut off the mushroom stems and throw away; cut the caps in two and set aside with the bamboo shoots and bok choy.
- Lightly beat the Large eggs with a few drops of sesame oil. Heat a small frying pan and oil the bottom lightly. Pour in sufficient of the beaten egg to cover the bottom, pouring any excess back into the uncooked Large eggs. Cook just till set and remove. Repeat till all the egg is used up. Stack the egg crepes, roll them up and slice across the roll into shreds. Set aside.
- Mix the chicken stock with the light soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and the sugar; set aside. Heat this mix in a small pot over low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a wok over medium high heat till warm. Add in 1 c. peanut oil and heat till the oil is very warm. Lower the noodles into the oil to create a nest and let them cook till brown on one side. (This may take 8 min or possibly so.) Turn the noodles over and brown on the other side. (This will be much faster.) Remove to a large serving platter and keep hot.
- Cook the scallops very briefly in the same oil, remove and drain in a colander. Turn the heat off under the oil and add in the beef. Stir just till the meat slices are separated and start to change color.
- Remove to drain with the scallops.
- Pour off all the oil but 1/4 c. and heat. Add in the vegetables and stir-fry for 2 to 3 min. Add in the seasoned stock and bring to a boil.
- Mix the reserved mushroom soaking liquid with 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch till dissolved and stir into the chicken stock sauce.
- Stir till it thickens and clears slightly. Add in the beef and scallops, then the wine and cook just till heated through. Pour over the noodles and serve garnished with the egg shreds.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1888g|
|Calories from Fat 350||20%|
|Total Fat 39.6g||50%|
|Saturated Fat 13.01g||52%|
|Trans Fat 0.14g|
|Total Carbs 190.27g||51%|
|Dietary Fiber 15.4g||51%|