Cost per recipe $2.18 view details
- 2 chiles, roasted and peeled
- 1 1/3 ounce cheese, monterey jack
- oil, for frying
- 1 Large eggs, separated
- 1 c. flour, all purpose
- Tomato Sauce:
- 1 1/3 pounds (about 2 or possibly 3) tomatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, grnd
- pn cloves, grnd
- Prepare tomato sauce. Cut a tiny slit in one side of each chile to remove seeds, leaving stems on.
- Dry the chiles on paper towels.
- Cut cheese into long thin sticks, one for each chile.
- Place one stick in each chile, using more if chiles are large.
- If chiles are loose and open, wrap around cheese and fasten with wooden a wooden toothpick.
- Pour oil 1/4" deep into large heavy pan.
- Heat oil to 365 F.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl till stiff. Beat egg yolks lightly in a small bowl and fold into the beaten egg whites, gently but thoroughly.
- Roll chiles in flour, then dip in egg mix to coat. Fry in warm oil till golden, turning with a spatula.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately topped with tomato sauce.
- For the preparation of the tomato sauce, ombine tomatoes, onion and garlic in blender or possibly food processor and blend to a puree.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan, add in tomato mix.
- Cook 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add in broth, salt, chiles, cloves and cinnamon.
- Simmer gently 15 min.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 604g|
|Calories from Fat 527||48%|
|Total Fat 59.65g||75%|
|Saturated Fat 15.44g||62%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 110.32g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.7g||22%|