Chicken pot pie is considered the ultimate comfort food. It’s a savory pie filled with a luxurious chicken stew. It’s been popular forever! When you take that first bite it always provides a warming feeling and really satisfies an empty stomach. One big problem-it’s actually one of the 30 worst foods in America. Why? Because a typical chicken pot pie you buy in the freezer section has a shocking 680 calories and 48 grams of fat. That’s just for the original kind. Marie Callenders takes it one step further with their Creamy Parmesan Chicken Pot Pie which has 1,060 calories and 64 grams of fat. I know you’re thinking you’ll never be able to eat this dreamy pot pie again, right? Don’t worry because using skinny ingredients like boneless, skinless chicken breasts, reduced- fat milk, reduced-sodium chicken broth, plus adding a whole lot of vegetables, you still can, guilt-free! This skinny chicken pot pie recipe has only 266 calories, 6 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS per serving! It doesn’t need the top and bottom crust either. It’s served spooned onto a plate or bowl and garnished with a flaky biscuit. Relax and enjoy this fabulous pie.
- 3 cups Swansonâs reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1Â½ cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup potato, peeled and cubed (Â½ inch cubes)
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and cubed (Â½ inch cubes)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1Â½ cups frozen peas (not defrosted)
- 1Â½ cup reduced-fat milk
- Â½ cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- Â¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pkg. Pillsbury Golden Layer Flaky Biscuits (about 100 calories for each biscuit)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pan, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the onions, potato, sweet potato, carrots, and celery. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and frozen peas, breaking them up. Bring back to a boil, turn the heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place a colander into a large bowl. Pour the chicken, vegetables and broth into the colander. Add the strained broth back to the pan. Set aside the chicken and vegetables.
- In separate small bowl, add the flour. Gradually add the milk to the flour stirring with a whisk, until well blended.
- Increase the heat to medium with the broth. Stir in the milk/flour mixture with a whisk. Cook for 5 minutes or until thicken. Stir often.
- Add back the chicken and vegetables, along with the thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Coat an 11 x 7 baking dish (see Shopping tip) with cooking spray and pour in the chicken stew.
- Open the package of biscuits, separate them and place on top of the chicken stew. Line them evenly over the top.
- Place the pie on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 14 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown.
- To serve, spoon into each bowl and top with one biscuit. There will be two extra biscuits for whoever desires.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 391g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 72||26%|
|Total Fat 7.98g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 2.83g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.07g|
|Total Carbs 31.06g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||14%|