A yummy stovetop chicken casserole.
I like to make mine in a cast-iron dutch oven, but the colors would be brighter if you use an enameled dutch oven
Cost per serving $1.15 view details
- 1/4 c + 1 tbs AP flour
- 1 tbs poultry seasoning
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 c panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c grated parmesan
- 1 tbs melted butter
- 3 tbs oil
- 6 oz andouille
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 4 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 bunch of medium asparagus
- 1 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c dairy
- 3 tbs green onions, chopped
- 1 tbs parsley, chopped fine
- 1 tbs tarragon, chopped fine
- Preheat the oven to 350
- In a ziptop bag, add 1/4 c AP flour and 1 1/2 tsp of the Poultry seasoning and mix it up.
- Cut the chicken into 2 in pieces or so (I like to use scissors for this).
- Toss the chicken in the bag to coat, and shake off any excess breading.
- Reserve the excess flour, adding the extra 1 tbs of flour to the reserve.
- In a small bowl, toss the breadcrumbs, butter, cheese, and remaining seasoning.
- Add the oil to your casserole, and heat over medium high heat.
- Brown the chicken on each side, in batches (one batch takes about 5 minutes, I can usually get done in three batches in a 12 in casserole).
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Meanwhile, skin and trim the asparagus.
- Boil in a pot of salty water for about 8 minutes, until soft.
- Remove from the water and cut into 1 or two inch pieces.
- In the casserole, add the sausage (chopped into 1/2 in pieces), and cook, stirring, until browned (about 4 minutes).
- Add the onions, garlic, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved flour and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, asparagus, stock, dairy, green onions, parsley, and tarragon.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Evenly distribute the bread crumb mixture over the top.
- Remove the casserole to the oven, and bake until bubbly and the bread crumbs are browned, about 25 minutes.
- Serve with one crostini underneath, and two or three around the plate.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 148g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 67||38%|
|Total Fat 7.54g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1.99g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.13g|
|Total Carbs 6.26g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3%|