Cost per serving $1.02 view details
- 1 lb dry small white beans
- 8 x fresh Anaheim chilies - (abt 1 lb)
- Â Â (available at Latin American markets and many supermarkets)
- 1/4 c. butter - (1/2 stick)
- 2 lrg onions minced
- 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 4 c. low-salt chicken broth
- 3 c. half-and-half
- 4 c. shredded cooked chicken
- 1 Tbsp. chili pwdr
- 1 Tbsp. warm pepper sauce
- 1 Tbsp. grnd cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly-grnd white pepper
- 1Â 1/2 c. grated Monterey Jack cheese - (abt 6 ounce)
- 1 c. lowfat sour cream
- Â Â Minced fresh cilantro
- Â Â Purchased tomatillo or possibly green chili salsa
- Place beans in heavy large pot with sufficient cool water to cover by at least 3 inches. Let stand overnight.
- Char chilies over gas flame or possibly in broiler till blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 min. Peel, seed, and chop chilies. Set aside.
- Drain beans. Return to pot. Add in sufficient cool water to pot to cover beans by 3 inches. Simmer till beans are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Drain well.
- Heat butter in clean heavy large pot over medium heat. Add in onions and saute/fry till tender, about 15 min. Add in flour and stir 5 min (don't brown). Gradually whisk in chicken broth and half-and-half. Simmer gently till thickened, about 10 min. Add in reserved white beans and roasted chilies, shredded chicken, and next 5 ingredients. Simmer gently to blend flavors, about 20 min. (Chili can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigeratetill cool, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before continuing.)
- Add in grated cheese and lowfat sour cream to chili; stir just till chili is heated through and cheese melts (don't boil). Ladle chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro and green salsa. Serve.
- This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
- Description: "Roasted green chilies add in spice to this do-ahead dish, that happens to be a great way to use up leftover chicken."
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 299g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 249||52%|
|Total Fat 28.01g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 14.24g||57%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 32.32g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.5g||22%|