- 3 1/2 lb Beef chuck or possibly shoulder roast, (3 1/2 to 4 lb..)
- 4 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. Burgundy wine
- 2 quart Rich beef stock
- 4 lrg Stalks of celery, cut into 1/2 inch pcs
- 1 lb Carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pcs
- 1 med Rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 lb New red potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch pcs (don't peel)
- 1 lb Onion, peeled and cut into 1 inch pcs
- 8 ounce Fresh mushrooms, minced
- 1 can Tomato paste, (6 ounce.)
- 2 tsp Freshly grnd black pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Dry whole thyme
- 3 x Bay leaves
- 2 lrg Cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. Browning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet)
- 1/4 c. Soy sauce Dark brown roux
- Trim and cut the beef into 1 inch cubes, removing as much of the heavy fat as practical. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Gradually add in the beef to the warm oil. Over high heat, brown the beef till each piece is a rich, dark brown color. Spoon the tomato paste over the browned beef pcs, stirring to incorporate. Continue cooking till the tomato paste starts to caramelize. Deglaze the pan with the burgundy wine.
- In a large stock pot, 8 qts, combine the beef, vegetables, browning sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for two hrs. Thicken stew with the roux to the desired consistency.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: If beef stock is not available, substitute; a) canned beef broth plus 8 beef bouillon cubes or possibly b) 2 qts water, plus 24 beef bouillon cubes