In the business that is keeping our families excited for meal time and with time constraints of the essence, we as meal planners must digress! or NOT! This recipe contains everyday ingredients, but put together in a way that will get the credit you deserve. Great for anytime of day, this casserole is a crowd pleaser and super easy to assemble. The casserole crust is made with pumpernickel bread for a change of pace and taste!!! The leftover loaf can be used for my Bistro Style Steak Sandwich that's on my pages.!! The rest Is just delicious details....
- 1/2 loaf pumpernickel bread
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 c. baked ham, diced small
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 tsp. horseradish mustard
- 1 tsp. sriracha
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, rough chopped
- 3 chives, chopped
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- In a medium saute pan over medium high heat, drizzle with olive oil and add onion.
- Cook until onions are softened, about 3 minutes and add ham. Cook additional minute and stir in mustard and sriracha. Add roasted red pepper and fold in. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, grease oval casserole with 1 tbsp. butter and line sides and bottom with pumpernickel, cutting pieces as necessary to fit dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over pumpernickel in bottom of dish.
- Spread ham mixture over cheese.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, chicken broth and herbs until well mixed and pour over ham. Dot top with remaining butter.
- Cover loosely with foil. Allow 10-15 minutes for egg mixture to be absorbed before baking. For make ahead, this is where to stop and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 12 hours.
- Place on baking sheet and bake covered for first 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking until visible steam emits itself from the center and toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 15 more minutes. The top will be slightly golden.
- Let rest 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 227g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 166||56%|
|Total Fat 18.66g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 9.24g||37%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.12g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|