Vegetables and spices: potatoes, onion, garlic, garbanzo beans, Italian sausage seasoning & Italian herbs.
This braised chicken dish is a good choice on a cool night. Add a salad along with crusty bread and your family will surely be full by the end of the meal. Any cut of chicken can be used but if you use breasts be careful not to over cook them as they will dry out. I used garbanzo beans for the legume but others would work as well. I like garbanzo beans in soups and stews as they stay firm and don't get mushy when cooked. As for wine with the addition of sausage, tomatoes and legumes this dish will stand up to a red wine. A fruity but not wimpy Barbara or Grenache works. We had a 2008 Terra d Oro Amador County Barbara.
- 8 Chicken thighs, skinned
- 9 oz chicken sausage (I used Aidell's chicken/artichoke)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp Italian sausage seasoning (I used Penzeys)
- 2 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs Ghee
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- 4 cloves Garlic, pressed and minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 9 oz. Yukon gold potatoes, large chop
- 15 oz Garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz kale, cleaned and chopped
- 3 oz Baby spinach
- 15 oz Chicken stock
- 15 oz Tomatoes, diced canned
- 4 oz Dry white wine
- 1 Tbs Red wine vinegar
- Preheast oven to 325^.
- Dredge chicken in flour and season with salt/pepper. Add oil/Ghee to hot braising pan or Dutch oven. Brown chicken on each side until golden over medium high heat. About 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions to pan and saute until golden. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute or until fragrent. Add white wine to pan and deglaze fond.
- Add stock, tomatoes, herbs and spices to pan and bring to boil. Add Kale; cover and simmer for about five minutes. Depending on the size of pan you may need to do this in two steps.
- Add chicken and sausage to pan and bring to simmer. Cover and braise in the oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour add Garbanzo beans, potatoes and spinach. Braise for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Remove from oven and add 1 Tbs of red wine vinegar.
- Dish is ready for service.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 670g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 320||45%|
|Total Fat 35.78g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 11.96g||48%|
|Trans Fat 0.21g|
|Total Carbs 57.55g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.6g||32%|