Cost per serving $0.85 view details
- 3 lbs. frozen broccoli, 1 floret, 2 cut
- 4 tbsp. salted butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 c. low sodium chicken broth or steaming water
- 2 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, mild
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c. grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. ground mustard
- scant grating of fresh nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- For Topping:
- 1 1/2 c. fresh french bread crumbled
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375* F
- Prepare broccoli according to directions on package instructions using the double boiler/steaming method over lightly salted water.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce-pot over medium heat, melt butter and add olive oil.
- Meanwhile, prepare the bechamel
- Cook mushrooms and onions until fragrant and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in flour. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in evaporated milk and chicken broth and return to heat. Let thicken over several minutes.
- Add cheeses and spices. Stir to combine. Turn off heat.
- meanwhile in a small saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter and add olive oil. Add and toast bread crumbs, stirring often as not to scorch or burn, about 3 minutes.
- Temper eggs and add to cheese sauce.
- In a preferably stainless steel baking dish drizzled with olive oil, add broccoli.
- Fold in mayonnaise until all broccoli is coated.
- Pour cheese sauce over broccoli and fold in until evenly coated and mixed.
- Distribute bread crumbs evenly atop casserole.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake until set and toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake until golden, about 20 more minutes.
- Let stand for 20-30 minutes before serving.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 174g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 203||60%|
|Total Fat 22.99g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 9.79g||39%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 21.59g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|