- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x onion (1 1/2 c.) peeled cut in half each half cut into 1/4" slices
- 1 med eggplant (1 lb.) peeled and quartered cut into 1/4" slices
- 1 x zucchini (1/2 lb.) washed & sliced in 1/4" rounds
- 1 x yellow squash (1/2 lb.) washed & cut in 1/4" rounds
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly grnd black pepper
- 5 x Large eggs
- 4 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat the over to 325 degrees.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of the extra virgin olive oil over low heat in a medium saute/fry pan and cook the onion, stirring occasionally, till very tender and golden brown colored, 15 to 20 min. Set aside.
- In the same saute/fry pan, heat 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil and add in the eggplant. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 min, then add in the zucchini and the yellow squash. Continue to saute/fry on medium heat till all the vegetables are tender, about 5 min. Combine the cooked vegetables with the reserved onions, season with half the salt and pepper, and allow to cold.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the Large eggs. Combine with 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, the balsamic vinegar, cream, 2/3 c. of the cheese, and remaining salt and pepper. Mix well to create a somewhat thick batter and stir in the sauteed vegetables.
- Oil a 2 qt 9 inch round or possibly square baking dish or possibly casserole with the remaining Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil and pour in the tortino mix. Be sure the mix is level on all sides. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 35 to 40 min.
- Preheat the broiler. Remove the foil from the dish and sprinkle on the remaining Parmigiano. Bake till the Large eggs are set, about 15 min longer. Just before serving, place the tortino under the broiler till the cheese forms a golden brown crust. Let rest for 5 min and serve in squares.