Velvety, flavorful goodness gained by a couple of unique additions brings common creamed corn to a whole new place!
A velvety, rich and extremely flavorful side dish - commonly overlooked. I have adapted this recipe from one of Hubert Keller's.
He prefers to use Parmesan cheese, I go with Gruyere. I also have cut back a bit on some of his ingredient amounts and have not gotten any complaints.
This takes a little organization, but I found a couple of shortcuts, thanks to Phyllis, one of our fabulous sous chefs.
This is how we serve that oh-so-common side dish, creamed corn. Try it once and you will never go back!
I have cut the recipe down to serve 4 people. Adjust as necessary.
- 4 ears of good sweet corn, cleaned and ends cut off (you can buy frozen roasted sweet corn kernels in the frozen section of many supermarkets)
- 2 Tbs sweet butter, softened
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 c whipping cream (heavy cream)
- 1/4 c chicken stock
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, very finely minced
- 4 green onions, very thinly sliced up to the first leaf
- 3/4 c grated Gruyere cheese
- While your oven heats to 375^, lay out 4 sheets of aluminum foil, shiny side up, and liberally butter each ear of corn, then sprinkle a little salt and pepper on each ear and place one on each piece of foil
- fold the foil and twist the ends and roast in the oven for 40 minutes
- Unwrap the ears of corn and shave off all the kernels (don't be afraid of the 'juice') into a bowl and set aside
- In a small sauce pan, combine the cream, salt, pepper and ginger
- Reduce over medium heat by 1/3 (this will take about 8 minutes)
- Add the chicken stock and the corn to the sauce pan, bring to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes - this should thicken the dish
- [If you want to add BACON, this is the time. Please scroll down to my suggested variation below in the Reviews & Comments section]
- Remove from the heat
- Fold in the green onions and the shredded cheese
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 125g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 222||76%|
|Total Fat 25.29g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 15.31g||61%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.37g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|