Cost per serving $1.03 view details
- 3 lb Chicken fryers
- 3 x Parsley sprigs
- 3 x Dill weed sprigs
- 3 x Carrots -- sliced
- 2 x Yellow onions -- quartered
- 2 x Parsnips -- * sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh parsley -- minced
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Dumplings: - 1 1/2 c. flour 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning - or possibly sage 1/3 c. fresh parsley 1/2 tsp. black pepper 1 large egg - beaten 1/2 c. lowfat milk 1/4 tsp. salt - optional
- * The use of sliced parsnips is optional.
- 1. Tie parsley and dill springs with thread. Cut the chicken into serving-sized pcs. Put the chicken and its giblets, discarding the liver, into very large heavy pot. Add in the carrots, onions, parsnips (if using), pepper, minced parsley or possibly dill and the tied sprigs. Add in sufficient water to cover all ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 min or possibly till chicken is tender. Skim off the fat and foam as it rises to surface.
- 2. When the chicken is done, remove and throw away the parsley and dill sprigs. Using a slotted spoon, place the chicken and vegetables into a bowl and keep hot in an oven which has been slightly heated then heat turned off.
- 3. DUMPLINGS: Place the flour into a large bowl. In another bowl, blend together the beaten egg, 1/3 c. minced parsley, poultry or possibly dry sage, pepper and lowfat milk. Mix well and chill batter till ready to use.
- 4. Bring the broth to a boil and lower heat to keep at a slow boil. Drop the batter by rounded tsp. into the broth.
- COVER tightly and simmer for 15 min. Don't remove lid during this time.
- 5. Remove dumplings with slotted spoon and add in them to the chicken and vegetables. Spoon some of the broth over all and garnish with minced parsley if you like.
- Serve immediately with the broth placed into c. for each serving.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 324g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 316||59%|
|Total Fat 35.01g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 10.01g||40%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.85g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|