A while back I got this cute mug from John Spottiswood and Cook Eat Share.
I was trying to figure out what things I could put in it to share with you. It had been cold here in Virginia. My family wanted something comforting and satisfying. I immediately thought of Chicken and Dumplings.
After making it, I couldnt think of a more fitting way to showcase my Chicken and Dumplings than inside my Cook Eat Share mug,
Thanks Cook Eat Share for the lovely mug!
- Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ice water
- Place the chicken, onion, bay leaves, and bouillon, in a large pot. Add 4 quarts of water, simmer over medium heat. Simmer the chicken until it is tender and the thigh juices run clear, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and separate the meat from the bones. Return the chicken meat to the pot. Keep warm over low heat.
- Add the cream of chicken soup to the pot with the chicken and simmer gently over medium-low heat.
- To prepare the dumplings: Mix the flour with the salt and mound together in a mixing bowl. Beginning at the center of the mound, drizzle a small amount of ice water over the flour. Using your fingers, and moving from the center to the sides of the bowl, gradually incorporate about 3/4 cup of ice water. Knead the dough and form it into ball.
- Dust a good amount of flour onto a clean work surface. Roll out the dough (it will be firm), working from center to 1/8-inch thick. Let the dough relax for several minutes.
- Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Pull a piece in half and drop the halves into the simmering soup. Repeat. Do not stir the chicken once the dumplings have been added. Gently move the pot in a circular motion so the dumplings become submerged and cook evenly. Cook until the dumplings float and are no longer doughy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- To serve, ladle chicken, gravy, and dumplings into warm bowls.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 329g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 285||49%|
|Total Fat 31.62g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 9.01g||36%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 34.53g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|