his sensational sandwich is the perfect way to create a quick turnaround lunch or dinner. Most of the ingredients you might even have already. Although a traditional tuna melt is made with healthy tuna, it’s shockingly high in calories and and fat. Most restaurants use tuna packed in oil, regular mayo, cheese and grilled in butter. Happily our skinny fiber-rich melt is made water packed tuna, reduced-fat mayo, cheese and tomato, then grilled with a reduced-fat spread. Adding sweet pickle relish not only taste good it allows you to use much less mayo. A regular size Quizno’s Tuna Melt has a frightening 1220 calories and 94 grams of fat! You can enjoy every bite of ours at 382 calories and 10 grams of fat. It’s very satisfying…
- 1 (5 oz) can chunk white albacore tuna, packed in water, drained
- 1Â½ tablespoons light mayonnaise (we like Best Foods Light)
- 1Â½ tablespoons pickle relish
- 4 slices whole wheat or multigrain bread (we like Miltonâs Multi-grain)
- 1Â½ tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard-prepared">mustard or regular mustard-prepared">mustard
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Â½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, add the drained tuna, mayonnaise and pickle relish. Mix together.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter and the other side with mustard.
- On top of the mustard side of two pieces of bread, divide the tuna and spread on bread. Cut tomato slices in half and place on top of the tuna. Top each with Â¼ cup cheese. Place the remaining slices, mustard side inside, on top to create a sandwich.
- In a large nonstick pan, add the two sandwiches, cheese side up. Cover with a lid and cook on medium-high heat about 2-3 minutes until bottom is golden. Using a spatula, turn each sandwich over. Flatten a little with the spatula. Cover, and cook about 1-2 minutes until golden. Turn sandwiches over again and cook about 30 seconds more until cheese is melted.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 234g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 279||64%|
|Total Fat 31.67g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 14.39g||58%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 7.83g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|