Cost per serving $2.91 view details
- 1Â 1/2 tsp Unsalted butter, plus more for rutabaga topping
- 2 lb Boneless beef or possibly lamb for stew
- 2 med Onions, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 2 c. Dry red wine
- 1 c. Beef stock
- Â Â Bouquet garni, made with 1 celery stalk, 1 sprig each of rosemary and thyme, 2 crumbled bay leaves, and 1 clove garlic tied in cheesecloth
- 4 x Carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 3 x Rutabagas (about 3 lb)
- 4 x Russet or possibly Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 3/4 lb)
- 1/2 c. Warm lowfat milk, or possibly as needed
- Â Â Salt & freshly grnd pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Minced fresh rosemary
- 1. Over medium heat, heat a wide, heavy-bottomed lidded pan till warm. Heat butter, and brown meat in two batches. Add in onions; cook till slightly softened, about 5 min. Sprinkle flour over meat and cook till well browned, about 5 to 8 min, stirring often.
- 2. Add in wine and bring to a boil, scraping bottom of pan to loosen brown bits. Add in stock and bouquet garni, bring to a boil, cover, and cook on low heat for 1 1/2 hrs, or possibly till meat is tender. Remove lid after 1 hour; add in carrots and cook, uncovered, for the last 30 min.
- 3. Meanwhile, peel rutabagas and potatoes and cut into large chunks. Place in separate saucepans and cover amply with cool salted water. Bring each to a boil and simmer till tender, about 30 to 40 min for rutabagas and z5 min for potatoes. Drain; return to warm saucepans to dry for a few min.
- 4. Put rutabagas and potatoes through a food mill or possibly ricer, or possibly mash by hand. Add in butter to taste, and sufficient warm lowfat milk to make a creamy puree.
- Season to taste with Salt and pepper; stir in minced rosemary.
- 5. Heat oven to 350'. Remove bouquet garni, and turn stew into a deep 2-qt baking dish. Top with puree; dot lightly with butter. Bake for 1 hour, or possibly till the top is brown and crusty.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 520g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 179||37%|
|Total Fat 19.88g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 8.42g||34%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 40.78g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.9g||20%|