Scalloped potatoes cooked in 12 minutes? Compare that to the hour-and-a-half baking time most scalloped potato recipes require, and this recipe may become a year round “fav” for you since the microwave keeps your kitchen cool. Another appeal is the unusual and subtle flavor Swiss cheese gives to this dish. The recipe is based on one from Richard Deacon’s classic cookbook “Microwave Cookery” (HP Books 1981.) When a casserole of cheesy potatoes fits the menu but time is of the essence, give this recipe a try! (NOTE: microwave oven wattage varies so cooking times can only be approximate. My oven has 1250 watts so gauge recipe cooking instructions accordingly.)
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced (about 6 to 7 cups - I used Russet but other potatoes work fine if not better)
- 6 ounces Swiss cheese shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 to Â½ teaspoon dried minced garlic
- Butter a large flat microwave-safe casserole dish (I used a Corning Ware dish about 10" square.) Place half the potatoes in the dish. Top with half the cheese and remaining potatoes.
- In a 4-cup microwavable measuring glass, combine milk, butter, salt, pepper, onion and garlic. Heat on HIGH for 2 to 3 minutes until butter is melted and milk is steaming hot (watch carefully nearing end of time to avoid boiling mixture.) Pour over potatoes in casserole dish.
- Cover casserole dish and cook on HIGH 10 to 12 minutes until potatoes are crisp and tender.
- Remove cover. Top casserole with remaining cheese. Cook on HIGH 1 minute uncovered to melt cheese. (Note: If casserole dish can withstand an oven broiler, skip the microwave in this step and brown under an oven broiler 3-4 minutes or until top surface just begins to brown. (I rimmed the edges and handles of my Corning Ware dish with a double layer of heavy-duty foil for this. Wish I had a butane food torch on hand instead!)
- VARIATION: Sprinkle 1 Â½ cups ham cut in small pieces between the two layers of potatoes.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 144g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 112||52%|
|Total Fat 12.74g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 8.02g||32%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 17.46g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||6%|