This is a delicious recipe for sauteed Kale. If you are vegetarian, you can leave out the bacon and you will still have a delicious side dish. This also makes a beautiful presentation to accompany any main dish. The green of the kale contrasts beautifully with the golden color of the toasted cashews.
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup unsalted, roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 2 slices of bacon
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or red pepper flakes)
- 1 bunch kale, rinsed, tough midrib removed, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, plus more as desired (optional)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Heat a large sautÃ© pan on medium high. Add the two pieces of bacon and cook until moderately crisp, 3-4 minutes per side then remove to paper towels. Add the cashews and spread out in an even layer. Toast, stirring occasionally until lightly browned here and there, and you smell the aroma of the toasted cashews. Do not take your eyes off them as they easily burn. Remove from the pan to a bowl. Chop the bacon into small pieces and add to the bowl with the cashews.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high. Add a couple tablespoons more of olive oil to the pan. Add the freshly ground pepper or red pepper. Add the roughly chopped kale. Use tongs to turn the kale leaves over so that they are all coated with olive oil. Cook just a couple minutes, turning the leaves over often, until they are just beginning to wilt. Sprinkle on lemon juice and salt. Remove from heat. Stir in the cashews and bacon.
- Taste and add more salt and lemon juice to taste.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 51g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 149||89%|
|Total Fat 16.75g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 3.59g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.77g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|