Cost per recipe $2.62 view details
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1Â 1/2 c. water 105-115 degrees
- 2 c. basic bread sponge
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin extra virgin olive oil
- Â Â extra virgin extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- 3 c. All-Purpose Flour Unbleached
- 1/3 c. unbleached all-purpose flour for kneading
- 1/2 c. whole wheat flour preferably organic
- 1/4 c. fresh rosemary finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- Â Â cornmeal for sprinkling
- Measure the rosemary*after* chopping.
- In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. Allow to proof for three min.
- Stir the sponge and 3 Tbsp. oil into the water, breaking the sponge up using your hands or possibly a spoon. Stir in the rosemary and salt.
- Add in 3 c. of the unbleached flour, the whole wheat flour, and salt and mix, scraping and folding till the dough gathers into a single mass that will be wet and sticky with strands hanging from your fingers.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and allow to rest for 3 min. knead in as much of the 1/3 c. of flour as is required to make a smooth, elastic and only slightly sticky dough (use as little flour as is possible). Shape into a ball.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, brush the top of the dough with additional oil, and cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator and allow to hot-up in a draft-free spot for two hrs.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet without sides generously with cornmeal. On a floured work surface, halve the dough and then shape one piece into a ball, pressing to remove any large bubbles at the edges. Place the dough-ball on the baking sheet, being sure to put the seam on the bottom.
- Repeat with the second ball, leaving 3 to 4 inches between the two. Cover with plastic and allow to rise till doubled, in a draft-free location.
- This should take 2-2 1/2 hrs. These loaves will be flat and wide.
- Preheat the oven for at least thirty min along with a baking stone or possibly tiles on the middle rack to 425. Place a baking pan with decent sides on the bottom shelf. Boil two c. of water. Brush the loaves again with oil and then, using a razor blade, make a tic-tac-toe pattern in the top of each of the loaves - don't tear the dough, you want to cut it. Pour the boiling water into the baking pan. Slide the loaves off the sheet and onto the stone.
- Bake for 20 min, reduce the temperature to 350 and then bake for another 30-35 min till the loaves are a light golden and hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom. When done, brush with additional extra virgin olive oil and transfer to cold on a rack.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 865g|
|Calories from Fat 411||21%|
|Total Fat 46.78g||58%|
|Saturated Fat 7.26g||29%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 327.94g||87%|
|Dietary Fiber 17.7g||59%|