Cost per serving $5.26 view details
- 4 pounds red bell peppers, about 10
- 1 cut fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 teaspoons pure kosher salt
- Roast the peppers directly on a gas burner or under the broiler until blistered all over, turning them frequently with tongs.
- Peel and seed the peppers, then rip them into large sections.
- Prepare for water-bath canning: wash the jars and keep them hot in the canning pot, and put the flat lids in a heatproof bowl.
- In a wide, 6 to 8 quart perserving pan, combine the lemon juice, vinegar, oil, garlic and salt. Bring just to a boil.
- Ladle the boiling water from the canning pot into the bowl with the lids. Using a jar lifter, remove the hot jars from the canning pot, carefully pouring the water from each one back into the pot, and place them upright on a folded towel. Drain the water off the jar lids.
- Pack the roasted peppers into the jars and ladle in the hot liquid, leaving 1/4 inch headspace at the top. Use a chopstick to remove air bubbles around the inside of each jar (remember, air can cause growth of undesirable microorganisms-bacteria, molds, and yeasts!). Use a damp paper towel to wipe the rims of the jars, then put a flat lid and ring on each jar, adjusting the ring so that it is finger-tight. Return the jars to the water in the canning pot, making sure the water covers the jars by at least 1 inch. Bring to a boil, and boil for 15 minutes to process. Remove the jars to a folded towel, and do not disturb for 12 hours.
- After 1 hour, check that the lids have sealed by pressing down on the center of each; if it can be pushed down, it hasn't sealed and the jar should be refrigerated immediately.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 561g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 487||79%|
|Total Fat 55.12g||69%|
|Saturated Fat 7.57g||30%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.2g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.9g||26%|