Know What You Eat: There is nothing like a hot bowl of chili on a cold winter/rainy day. It is the perfect combination of protein, carbohydrates, spices and with colorful vegetables. Black beans has the amazing protein-plus-fiber content, from a single, one-cup serving of black beans you get nearly 15 grams of fiber which is found especially helpful in lower blood cholesterol levels. By increasing the body's supply of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients, black beans may be able to help lower cancer risk. Don’t be intimated with the list of ingredients. Basically all you need is black & kidney beans, veggies and spices
- 1/2 C Kidney Beans
- 1 C Black Negro Beans
- 1/2 C Yellow corn
- 2 Stalks Celery
- 1 Big Onion,finely chopped
- 1 Green pepper,finely chopped
- 1 Red pepper ,finely chopped
- 1 Carrot ,finely chopped
- 5 Tomato (medium sized)OR (1-12oz.) Crushed tomato can
- 4 cloves Garlic,Chopped finely
- 2 Jalapeno pepper,finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp Cayenne Pepper or more as per your taste
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt as per your taste
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp Cumin pwd
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 3/4 C Water
- 1-1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Black pepper (or to your taste)
- Juice of 1 small Lemon
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1. Soak all the dry beans overnight, add salt and pressure cook till tender.
- 2. Bring 2 to 3 cups of water to boil then place the tomatoes and cover,keep it for 5 minutes.(Follow step 2 if not using Crushed tomato can)
- 3. On medium heat, in a wok add oil, finely chopped garlic and bay leaves.
- 4. Once the garlic is slightly browned, add the chopped onions and stir till it is slightly brown now add celery, bell pepper, carrot, jalapeno peppers.
- 5. Saute for 10 minutes and now add the peeled and crushed tomatoes,corn, water,cayenne pepper, salt, cumin/coriander powder, oregano leaves,cooked beans and simmer for 30 minutes. Depending on your preference adjust the consistency by adding more or less water.
- 6. Add black pepper,lemon juice and cilantro.
- 7. Serve it with your choice of bread.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 347g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 54||37%|
|Total Fat 6.2g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 0.9g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 20.86g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.5g||22%|