Cost per recipe $3.65 view details
- 1/2 c. Shelled natural pistachios
- 4 pkt (1/4-ounce) unflavored gelatin (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 2Â 3/4 c. Cool water
- 1 c. Cornstarch
- 3 c. Granulated sugar
- 5 tsp Rosewater
- 1 dsh Red food coloring if you like
- 1/3 c. Confectioners' sugar plus additional if necessary
- This little sweetmeat is very popular throughout the Middle East. The Turkish term for the confection, rahat lokum, literally means "throat's ease."
- Oil an 8-inch square baking pan and line with plastic wrap. Oil plastic wrap.
- In a small saucepan of boiling water blanch pistachios 3 min and drain in a sieve. Rinse pistachios under cool running water and pat dry. Rub skins off pistachios.
- In a small bowl sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 c. cool water and let soften.
- In another small bowl stir together 1/8 c. cool water and cornstarch.
- In a 4-qt heavy kettle stir together remaining 1 1/2 c. cool water,
- granulated sugar, and rosewater and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring till sugar is dissolved. Stir in gelatin and cornstarch mixtures and boil over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spatula, 10 min (mix will be very thick). Stir in pistachios and food coloring and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Pour mix into baking pan, smoothing top with spatula, and cold. Refrigerateconfection, loosely covered, till set, about 4 hrs.
- Sift 1 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar onto a work surface. Invert confection onto sugar and peel off plastic wrap. Cut confection into 1/8-inch cubes. Sift remaining confectioners' sugar over cubes and toss to coat. Wrap cubes in parchment paper (don't use wax paper, plastic wrap, or possibly airtight containers because confections will weep) and chill. Turkish delight may be made 2 weeks ahead and kept chilled, wrapped in parchment paper.
- Just before serving, recoat Turkish delight in additional confectioners' sugar.
- Makes about 36
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1452g|
|Calories from Fat 122||4%|
|Total Fat 14.59g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 1.79g||7%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 765.66g||204%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||15%|