A little bit of summer on your cold winter's day. Whole wheat pizza crust is topped with a sweet and tangy homemade peach barbecue sauce, sharp English white cheddar, flavorful shredded poached chicken, and more BBQ sauce! It's a healthy, light delightful twist to your usual pizza!
- For dough
- From Cuisine at Home Specials Simple, Healthy & Delicious
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour">flour or whole wheat flour">flour (i used this!)
- 1t kosher salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 t or one pack of active dry yeast
- 2 T honey
- 1 T olive oil
- For Peach Barbecue Sauce
- Adapted from Epicurious
- 1 lb frozen or fresh peaches
- 1 medium red onion, chopped about 3/4 cup
- 1/2 t scotch bonnet pepper finely chopped
- 1 T canola oil
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 1/2 T honey
- 2 dijon mustard
- 1 t dark brown sugar
- 1/4 t chili powder
- For Chicken*
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth (homemade or less sodium) or water
- 1t whole peppercorns
- 1 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Leftover chicken or deli rotisserie chicken may be used here instead
- For Pizzas
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano
- Proof yeast in water with honey until foamy, 5 minutes; add oil
- Combine flours and salt in a large bowl making a deep well in the center
- Add yeast
- Stir with fork until mixture and flours come together. Once together, knead about 5 minutes until smooth. Oil a bowl and cover for 2 hours in a warm draft-free area. Or do as mama did and allow to rise in the refrigerator overnight.
- Meanwhile, make BBQ sauce. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and peppers, cook, stirring occasionally for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Place in blender and blend until liquefied or use an immersion blender. Place in bowl or jar and set aside. This can be made up to 3 days in advance!
- Now on to chicken. In a small saucepan, add chicken, garlic, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover with water or broth. Bring to a boil then, turn down to low cooking for 10 minutes. Then remove from heat and allow and sit in water for 10 minutes. Once slightly cooled, shred with fingers or fork.
- Preheat oven to 475F. If you have a pizza stone, warm that as well on lower rack.
- Once dough is doubled in sized, punch down dough (if you did it over night, allow to come to room temp for about 15 minutes first), shape into two balls. Cover balls with plastic wrap and place in a warm draft free area for 30 minutes to rise.
- Once risen, shape dough into 8 inch circle with hands or rolling pin.
- Scatter cornmeal on cast iron skillet or baking pan. add dough.
- Add BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese and chicken.
- If desired add a few pieces of chicken to BBQ sauce and place on top. Then top with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano and olive oil.
- Cook for 10 minutes or desired crispness. Allow to cool slightly and remove from pan. Then ENJOY!!
- This will also taste amazing with some green veggies such as broccoli florets and some crispy shallots! Hope you enjoy this as much as my family did!!!
- HAPPY PIZZA MAKING!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 741g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 559||46%|
|Total Fat 62.42g||78%|
|Saturated Fat 21.58g||86%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 75.06g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.5g||22%|