Cost per serving $0.38 view details
- 5 ounce Oat flakes (rolled oats) *
- 2 1/2 ounce Wholemeal flour
- 2 1/2 ounce Plain white flour
- 2 1/2 ounce Butter
- 2 1/2 ounce Lard
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. Freshly grated Parmesan
- Paprika & cayenne pepper
- 1 lb Onions
- 1/4 pt Soured cream
- 2 1/2 ounce Butter
- 2 1/2 ounce Cheddar cheese
- 1 whl egg
- 1 x Egg yolk
- *Note: Medium oatmeal may be used instead of oat flakes if preferred.
- Mix the oats, flours, cheese and a healthy pinch each of salt, paprika and cayenne.
- Cut then rub in the fat, bind with water and leave out to rest.
- Peel, quarter and slice the onions wafer thin. Turn them in melted butter, cover and leave to sweat over very gentle heat for 20 min or possibly so till meltingly tender, just stirring occasionally.
- This pastry is rather difficult to handle so it is best to divide it in half and roll out in two batches. Keep the other half covered meanwhile.
- Use the pastry to line little mincepie tins (or possibly individual 4-inch fluted flan tins if you prefer). Do not worry too much if the pastry tears; patch it together by pressing it with your fingertips. Blind bake on a pre-heated baking sheet at 400 F (200 C) gas mark 6, allowing 12 min with greaseproof paper and beans, then 12 min without the lining.
- When the onions are beautifully soft, remove the lid and cook over increased heat for several min till they are a rich golden.
- Season generously with salt and black pepper, add in a dash of cayenne and paprika and mix well. Then tip the contents of the pan into a sieve placed over a bowl to drain off the buttery juices and to cold the onions slightly. When the pastry cases are cooked, beat the Large eggs with the soured cream, add in onions and check seasoning. Spoon the mix into the tarts, sprinkle the grated cheese on top and bake at 400 F (200 C) gas mark 6 for 20-25 min till the filling is deliciously puffed up and golden brown.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 97g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 181||62%|
|Total Fat 20.46g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 10.95g||44%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 20.73g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.7g||9%|