...and lime juice is the acid you want to mix with the olive oil, salt, pepper & cilantro for the dressing
This Spanish-influenced salad is refreshing anytime you have it - from a dinner party to a picnic lunch. Bright notes of lime and cilantro. the wonderful pairing of sweet onion and navel orange, the sensuously smooth silkiness of avocado and tomato, all set off by the crisp crunch of toasted almond slices and the elegant earthiness of the olives. A great tasting salad - and real pretty, too!
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 sweet onion, sliced into rings, rings cut in half
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 navel oranges, cut into medium slices
- 12 pitted Nicoise olives
- 1/4 C toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 rich oilve oil
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- 1 T chopped cilantro
- sea salt & equal measures of ground black pepper corns & grains of paradise to taste
- Toast the almonds in a skillet - flip and turn to avoid the burn, then set aside in a small bowl
- In a medium sauce pan of water, boil the tomatoes for 15-30 seconds, (depending on how soft or firm they are), rinse under cold water, remove the skins and seeds, then chop the flesh and put the chopped tomatoes in a bowl.
- Peel the onion, slice the onion into rings, then slice the rings in half. Arrange the onions on a serving platter.
- Peel the oranges carefully to keep them intact. Using a sharp paring knife, gently scrape off as much of the remaining pith and white fibers as possible. Slice the oranges into disks.
- Mix the dressing: combine and whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and cilantro, add salt the the pepper mix to taste.
- Halve the avocados, remove the pit. Place the halves cut side down and cut each of the four halves into 5 chunks. Then carefully remove the skin from each chunk and add to the tomatoes in the bowl. Gently combine the avocados and the tomatoes with half of the prepared dressing. The lime juice will keep the avocado green.
- Lay the oranges on top of the onions.
- Place as much of the tomato and avocado mixture as you can in the center of the dish, piling it up.
- Drizzle the rest of the dressing around the dish, on the fruit and vegetables.
- Garnish with the toasted almonds and the olives.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 138g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 77||59%|
|Total Fat 8.61g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.16g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.91g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.1g||17%|