Cost per serving $0.67 view details
- 1/4 c. Butter or possibly margarine
- 1/4 c. Flour
- 1 c. Lowfat milk
- 6 ounce Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 Tbsp. Bottled warm chile salsa, or possibly to taste
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6 x Large eggs, separated
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter an 8-c. souffle dish; set aside.
- 2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat butter. Whisk in flour till mix is smooth. Whisk in lowfat milk.
- 3. Whisk sauce over medium-high heat till it boils and thickens. Remove pan from heat.
- 4. Add in cheese, salsa, and salt; stir till cheese melts. Beat in egg yolks.
- 5. In large bowl of electric mixer, beat egg whites till they hold soft, moist peaks. Stir one fourth of whites into cheese mix to lighten it; mix in remaining whites.
- 6. Pour mix into prepared souffle dish and bake in preheated oven 30 to 40 min.
- * Timesaver Tip: To make ahead: Prepare recipe through step 4. Cover surface of mix with wax paper and chill up to 24 hrs. Put egg whites in a bowl, cover, and chill. To complete dish, bring cheese mix and egg whites to room temperature (this can be done quickly in a microwave oven at a low setting) and continue with steps 5 and 6.
- (Refrigeration is not necessary if recipe is prepared only a few hrs in advance.)
- To make ahead and freeze: Prepare recipe through step 5. Wrap freezer-to-oven souffle dish in aluminum foil. Label, date, and freeze up to 2 months. To serve, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove foil and put souffle dish directly into oven from freezer; don't thaw. Bake 50 to 55 min. Souffle will be puffy and the top well browned. Serve immediately.
- NOTES : surprisingly light and delicious
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 160g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 238||69%|
|Total Fat 26.89g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 15.16g||61%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.1g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1%|