Cost per serving $1.08 view details
- 2 c. Macaroni, medium elbow (shells work too)
- 1/4 c. Butter, or possibly margarine
- 3 Tbsp. Flour, or possibly masa harina **
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic pwdr (or possibly 3 cloves garlic, chopped)
- 1/8 tsp Black pepper
- 3 c. Lowfat milk
- 1/4 c. Onion, grated onion (I chop)
- 4 ounce Green chiles, minced (Or possibly fresh roasted)
- 2 ounce Pimiento, minced (or possibly red bell pepper)
- 3 c. Cheddar cheese*, shredded
- 1/2 c. Crushed tortilla chips, (opt.)
- Â Â Paprika* Salsa* for garnish, opt.)
- * Original recipe calls for Jack cheese
- ** I keep Masa Harina in bags in freezer.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water till tender but hard and drain.
- Make cheese sauce (I do this part in microwave oven). Heat butter in large saucepan. Blend in flour, salt, garlic pwdr, and pepper. Cook , stirring constantly, 2 min. Slowly add in lowfat milk, stirring till smooth. Add in onion, chiles, and pimento. Cook till thickened. Stir in cheese and cook till melted.
- Combine macaroni and cheese sauce. Pour into 2 1/2-qt casserole. Top with tortilla crumbs and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350 F degrees 25 min. Serve at once.
- Serves 6
- Note: I sometimes top w/fresh salsa, or possibly any kind. Most of my other changes or possibly edits are in parentheses. This dish is good with other veges thrown in too. A good buffet dish for company. Masa Harina, if used in place of flour to thicken, gives dish a nice Mexican kind of flavor.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 282g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 312||50%|
|Total Fat 35.41g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 20.0g||80%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 50.89g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|